Starrett 252Z-24 Height Transfer Gage
- Measurement range of 0 to 24" (600mm)
- Rigid beam and heavy base provide vibration proof stability
- Hand-operated feed slider with fine-adjustment wheel in base isolates column and indicator from heat and hand pressure
- Snug on slide provides two holes for holding gauge rods or scribers
- Grip-base design for a comfortable hold
- Extreme rigidity provides the vibration proof stability necessary to permit precise, repeat readings with indicators of the highest amplification
- Extremely rigid, rectangular box-type hollow column mounted integrally on a heavy base
- Adjusting mechanism is located in the base so the column and indicator are isolated and not affected by external factors, i.e. heat or hand pressure
- Hand-fitting base design for sure-grip handling and easy movement
- Bottom of the base has three ground and lapped pads for stability and smooth movement on the surface plate
The Starrett 252Z-24 is a height transfer gauge with a rigid beam and heavy base, hand-operated feed slider, a snug on the slide, a grip base, and a measurement range of 0 to 24" (600mm). The height transfer gauge is used with test indicators or electronic amplifiers (sold separately) to accurately transfer height settings from gauge blocks, height gauges, and other standards. The extreme rigidity of the gauge provides the vibration proof stability necessary to permit precise, repeat readings with indicators of the highest amplification. The rigid, rectangular box-type hollow column is mounted integrally on the approximately 4-1/2 x 7-1/2 inches (115 x 190mm) (W x D) heavy base. (W is width, the horizontal distance from left to right; D is depth, the horizontal distance from front to back.) The adjusting mechanism is located in the base so that the column and indicator are isolated and not affected by external factors, such as heat or hand pressure. A knob on the base allows fine vertical adjustment of the slide unit relative to the fixed column. The grip-base design provides comfort when holding the unit in position by hand or when moving the unit. The bottom of the base has three ground and lapped pads for stability and smooth movement on the surface plate. The slide has manual vertical adjustment and incorporates a snug with two holes, 0.375" (9.5mm) and 0.156" (4mm), for holding gauge rods or scribers (sold separately). A thumb screw allows the slide to be locked. The rod has a major diameter of 0.375" (9.5mm) and stepped diameters of 0.25" (6.35mm) and 0.22" (5.5mm) at one end and 0.315" (8mm) at the opposite end. The gauge comes with a wood case.
Height gauges, sometimes referred to as gages, are precision measuring instruments that travel on a vertical column (also called the beam) to measure and/or mark the vertical distance from the base of an object in fine units. The vertical position of the gauge and its attached pointer are changed by turning a calibrated screw, or one or more feed wheels. Recorded rotations are read from a scale, a dial, counters, and/or an electronic display. A screw clamp holds the pointer to the gauge. The pointer is typically sharpened to act as a scriber, and can be used to mark a position on a workpiece by scratching its surface. On compatible units, the scriber may be replaced by an electronic touch-signal probe. Height gauges are typically used in manufacturing, machining, and mechanical engineering.
The L.S. Starrett Company manufactures precision measuring tools, metrology and testing equipment, and saw blade products. The company was founded in 1880 and is headquartered in Athol, MA.What’s in the Box?
- Starrett 252Z-24 height transfer gauge
- Wood case